ESChat supports the use of a wired headset. Any wired headset that has a microphone will work with ESChat.
Additionally, some headsets have media control buttons on them that may be used as a PTT button. To use the media control button as the PTT button follow these steps:
- Select one or more contacts or a group to be called
- Quickly press AND release the media button to talk. (Wait for the grant tone before speaking)
- When you are done speaking, quickly press AND release the media button again. This will release the floor.
- Milicom style headset/speakers require a change to the Headset Type. When using these style of headset/speaker, from the headset type options select Two Pulse.
Click here for more headset information.
Here is an image of the option:
Headset Usage Tips
Headset usage tips while a headset with media control buttons is connected to the device and the Push to Talk Toggle mode in the client Settings screen is disabled (unchecked box):
- The onscreen PTT button will be green and display Release to Stop Talking when you have the floor to speak.
- The onscreen PTT button will be blue and display Push to Talk when you do not have the floor to speak.
- The onscreen PTT button color, the in call list screen display, and any enabled floor tones in the Settings > Headset Sound Profile screen provide floor control state indication.
- When requesting the floor from the headset media control button, wait to hear the grant tone before speaking. This assumes the Settings screen has the Headset Sound Profile > Play Grant Tone enabled (checked box).
- Pressing and holding the headset media control button for longer than a quick press-and-release may not trigger the expected floor control changes. Such as when initiating a call, pressing and holding the headset media control button for many seconds will enter the call, however it may not send all or most of the voice burst.
- If the onscreen PTT button does not change to green to indicate the you have the floor, then quickly press-and-release the headset media control button to request the floor to speak.
- (On ESChat client v22.214.171.124) The client will automatically enable Push to Talk Toggle mode for only the headset media control button, while a headset is plugged into the device.
- The Push to Talk Toggle mode in the Settings screen affects only the onscreen PTT button and the tactile PTT key operation as follows:
- Enabled (checked box) operates as press-and-release to request the floor, speak, press-and-release to release the floor.
- Disabled (unchecked box) operates as press-and-hold to request the floor and speak, release to release the floor.
- Release the floor from either a press-and-release of the onscreen PTT button, the tactile PTT key, or the headset media control button.
- Request the floor from either:
- A press and hold of the onscreen PTT button or the tactile PTT key for as long as you wish to speak. Then, release the onscreen PTT button or the tactile PTT key to release the floor.
- A press-and-release of the headset media control button will request the floor. Then speak. Then, another press-and-release of the headset media control button will release the floor.